Sunday, August 23, 2009

Another Glorious Day Under Heaven

Yesterday was the picture perfect day in ways that can barely be described. While I grappled with the notion of abandoning my plans to assist a friend with a benefit washer tournament, in memory of her daughter who left this life just five months ago, to attend a service for baby Faith Elizabeth, I chose the original plan. I always pray for guidance when it comes to decisions that must be made, and God sends the spirit to guide me. I am grateful for that so that I don't have conflict, and rather, can live with peace in the decisions. I know I will be in support of Faith's young parents for many months and years to come, and perhaps my presence will mean more when the cards stop coming and life goes on for most. Also, I must still follow my heart as I determine how I can involve myself, on what emotional level, and funerals for children leaving our arms is not something that has become possible for me, not yet, maybe not ever. I can only imagine, given the day that it was, that the service and memorial for baby Faith must have been beautiful and inspiring and life changing for those who attended, showing one and all, once again, how precious life is, how we can never take this life for granted, and that all the small things in life mean absolutely nothing.

We, too, had a glorious day, under God's grace. Picture perfect weather for a tournament planned for many weeks. Jessica's mother and loved ones needed to take away a bit of the financial burden that an unexpected death takes on a family, hence, the idea from my own sister and brother in law, who sponsor a "washer tournament" each year for a memorial scholarship in Allison's name. So, we planned and plotted, and gave it a try. And what a success it was...in ways that can never be measured by dollars. The love, the support, the desire to help was so clear in the droves of cars and arrivals, all contributing in any way they could. Everyone participated in a way that was pleasing and appropriate for them, and the day could truly not have been more magical. Jessica was alive and well and at peace as she guided her mother, grandmother, aunts, uncles, and all who knew her in this lifetime, or in spirit. She was ever present and you had to be part of it all to understand the surreal, wonder of fellowship.

Jessica has taught us all that while on this earth, she mattered to so many. Perhaps she didn't realize just how much as she struggled with pain, grief, addiction, illness, only to find that this life really was not worth living. She was tired and had to leave to find the peace that is now hers eternally. We could all say that it's a shame that she couldn't rise above it, that she couldn't see the beauty in the day, but how could she? She was consumed by too many things that caused pain and suffering, yet, in all of that, she left a legacy. She left a mother who loves life and people and named the event "The Jessica Canman Life Goes On Tournament". What does that say to all of us? What message did we all walk away with yesterday? Yes, we are emotionally fatigued, yes, it was a long day for those involved, but it was the most rewarding, wondrous day spent, meeting new friends and coming together in a circle of love, all in the name of Jessica. It was as if we all knew one another for a very long time and were reunited as a family! It was the most glorious day under heaven!

As we rest and reflect and bask in the glow of the events of one singular day, and are proud that we abandoned our laundry list of chores and errands, to simply celebrate life, we cannot help but thank God for the strength of Jessica's mother and family, and for the life of Jessica. Another lesson to learn as we seize the day and we celebrate what we do have, not dwell on what we do not.

1 comment:

Kyra said...

Hello,

Last year I was doing yardwork at home when something red caught my eye. It ended up being a deflated red balloon with a quote attached reading "What we have once enoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us"
I started crying because I had recently lost my beloved cousin to suicide. He was only 18 years old at the time. I took the balloon and quote inside and put it by a picture of Danny that I had put up. For some reason I never turned it over until today. I am not sure what made me think of it, but I read the name "Jessica Canman March 31,1982-April 3,2009". I googled the name and found this page. I just wanted to convey my deepest sympathies to her family as I know what a death like this can do to a family and to a mother. My prayers are with you. I know how raw the pain is for me after almost 2 years since Danny's death.
We attend Chad's coalition events twice a year which is a very positive experience. Maybe we will see you there one day.
Deepest sympathies,
Kyra