Saturday, October 25, 2008

Worry and Anxiety

It seems everyone I talk with has some profound worry and anxiety in their lives, and as we share one another's burdens, it is easy to become consumed with each other's concerns. Many of us have the nature of desiring to help out our family, friends, loved ones, colleagues in some way. I know for sure that if I could, I would take away the burdens of the heart of those near and dear to me, my sister and brother in law, who struggle and grapple with how to LIVE through cancer, my dear friends whose children are hurting, therefore, they are in emotional pain, another dear friend who is learning how to BE after a sudden divorce, another who is trying desperately to cope and hold onto the marriage she does have, well, the list goes on and on and it won't ever end. Staying focused on what we DO have, this day, this beautiful autumn, can be difficult even on a good day when bad and evil and pain persist. But I have learned that worrying and being anxious do not help at all, for life is going to be lived, regardless of how much sleep we lose, how much neck and back pain we endure, how limited we become, AND I am brought to my own daughter, Allison's, very words...."mom, I bet you worried about many things as I was growing up, that I would get hit by a drunk driver, or attacked in the streets of Chicago, or become a teenage mother, or whatever, but I bet you never worried that I would get cancer...I could have saved you a lot of worry". Those are my words to live by, another part of the legacy she has left us, and in doing so, she has left me with a freedom to NOT worry about Jennifer, Joe, myself, those near and dear, because it will really do no good. So as our 401 K is diminishing, like everyone else's, and we wonder what is coming next in this world, let alone in our homes, there is freedom in knowing that no amount of worry and anxiety will change it.

I am reminded of, and cling to, a scripture that carries me, just in case I digress...Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." I am thankful for the love of God who does carry the burdens for me, leaving me free to live my life, face the challenges, find the joy, hold on to the memories, and live in the moment. My thankfulness abounds and my petition list grows as many face new and grueling burdens, but the promise that God will carry us is the best gift of all.

No comments: