Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cling To Hope

I recall, during Allison's illness, and in many other times in my life, clinging to hope. Knowing that with faith and love and trust, there is always hope. I used to say that while there is breath, there is hope, and I still say that, because at any minute, any second, everything as we know it can turn around, and things will be different. I now know that even after life, there is still hope. God provides it through His love and word, and families provide it through their own love and actions, and friends provide it with their own love and support. Hope is a beautiful word, if nothing else, it always gives you something to cling to...HOPE. I must say, however, that my hopes and dreams have changed along the way. What I once thought I had hoped for has changed and what I believe, know and trust has evolved. Mostly, I'm certain, from the experience of this incredible loss of a child, but also through the experiences of others and their personal journey. When we awaken and our mind brings forth all the sorrow, pain, chronic illness, and heartache of those in our lives, it's enough to send us right back to a place where we don't want to think about it, let alone face it. Why just this week alone, and I do not exaggerate this statistic, I have been contacted or told of five beloveds whose cancers have returned after celebrated remissions...FIVE, just THIS week. That, added to the sadness of a young mother with babies having her husband leave her to fend alone, a friend of Jennifer's whose doctors found cancer while she was pregnant with her second child, who is battling with every ounce of strength to fight and live for her husband and children, another friend who began treatments and whose system is crying out for it to be over, a brother-in-law who will make a decision about a life altering stem cell transplant in the coming months, added to the recent story of someone I know whose son decided to end his own life, and now the parents cannot go on, too many unanswered questions and guilt and pain. None of these situations are fair, yet, they happen every day, and to all of us as we pick up the phone or read an e-mail, or worst of all, receive our own call from the doctor or loved one. This pain is real, but so is hope. We have all said it, but have we really listened to the words, HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL. I surely am learning the true meaning of those words and as I visit with those struggling and suffering, it's all I can offer. Some don't want to hear it, or their level of readiness is not there. Some resist it, choosing to stay in a place that is dark and dreary. But some embrace it and hold tight and let it carry them to the next moment. It conjurs up light and beauty and goodness and all we have to do is open the word of God to find more scriptures about hope than almost any other phrase, feeling, word, or thought.

A scripture of hope read so eloquently at Allison's end of life celebration, and one that pulls me through every difficult, challenging, gut wrenching moment of my own life...Romans 5:3-5, "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope. And HOPE doe not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

Truly, hope does not disappoint us. No matter our circumstances, bleak or bountiful, happy or sad, devastating or enjoyable, we need the promise God gives us in the gift of hope.

No comments: