Friday, January 9, 2009

She Did Not Die

This is the day....the day for memories, when at 7:00 a.m. on a Tuesday morning, 24 months ago, our beloved Allison left this earth for her eternal home, parents and sister by her side. It has occured to me on many occasions that not many mothers can say, I felt her first heartbeat, and I felt her last. With my hand to her heart, and hers to mine, her heart came to a slow and steady and final breath. The room filled with sunbeams of pinks, orange, yellow and even blue. Yes, the skies opened up and all the nurses and doctors spoke of what they saw...an amazing array of brilliant light, creating a glittery path to the skies, and it was then that I knew Allison's soul found her way to the heavens above.

This day I simply share a poem that our daughter Jennifer read at Allison's celebration of life a few days later. We have come to fully understand why this particular poem was the one she chose, they are not just words read at a beautiful ceremony, they now have deeper meaning and share Allison's spirit as we live our lives for each other, for God and for her.

I DID NOT DIE

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond's gilt on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I DID NOT DIE.

May God carry us all through this day of mourning, memories, tears, remembrances, just as He has every minute, every day for all of our lives.

And may we find the blessings in brokenness, always, for they are there, love and light on this beautiful, sun-filled morning, an anniversary of sorts, a day etched in our hearts and souls forever, Kathy

No comments: