Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Quilt

A masterpiece has been created, a work of art, a treasure, an heirloom, and a gift. It is THE quilt. Somewhere along the way, Joe, Jennifer and I had the idea to gather Allison's t-shirts and find someone to perhaps put them together in the form of a quilt. The thought of being wrapped in a blanket of such love, so many memories and smiles, was but a dream, a thought, an idea. We slowly began to pursue the thought by looking into finding someone that could perhaps put our "dream" into reality...but where to start? I found a painful part of the process to be actually even gathering the shirts, let alone letting myself think of them being cut or torn apart. So, they sat, and they were moved, and they sat some more. They stayed in a bag in my closet. Her scent still lingered, and when I opened the bag, there she was, almost in the flesh, to me, again. How could I let go? So time passed, but then my heart led the way, and we also found the person who would create this legacy of love. Right there all along, really, was a family friend, especially to Michael and Karen, and eventually to all of us, Karen, KLO as we call her. She lives in Hull and over the years her creations have astounded me, her eye for color and detail, the need for no pattern, her talents an obvious gift. We began to have conversation about some possibilities, and lo and behold, a plan took shape. A plan that involved no timeframe, no design, no limits, no restrictions. We had all the faith and trust in her as I gave her the shirts. It was when I handed them to her, without saying a word, that she knew my heart. She began to caress the shirts and the sayings, her hands moving gently over the material and patterns. The look in her eyes told me she was just the "right" person to be handling this project, and thus, it evolved.

I think it is fair to say that the creation of the quilt was far more than any of us intended. For me, it was letting go of a piece of Allison that I was still holding on to, for Joe it was the emotion of the memories surrounding each shirt, and for Jennifer, I can safely say that any part of her sister is what she wants surrounding her, in any form, fashion, or design. So, she was ready for the comfort and the beauty. This was to be HER quilt, Jennifer's that is, this first one, maybe the only one, with all parts of her sister in tangible form. And for KLO it became so much more, too. We have spoken of it, some. But her stories and her eyes and her heart let me know that this was a labor of love. No amount of money can substantially thank her, no gesture, no words of gratitude. And she, simply and humbly, GETS THAT. We didn't intend for her to do this on her own, we were out for "hire", we didn't intend for it to be completed just as her dear friend, my own brother in law was in his own end of life stages in this summer of 2010, and we surely didn't plan for it to be completed by Jennifer's 28th birthday, which she celebrated in Hull, along with celebrating her uncle's life. We didn't plan any of it, because there was no plan. But as all things do, they come together in God's plan, and that is not one to be questioned.

I could write an entire book about the quilt and what each block, each stitch, each color, each border, each shirt means to us. The memories are profound. There are tears, but mostly there is joy. Allison was known for her rather unique style in t-shirts, often bought at thrift stores and always making a profound statement. So, when I look at the quilt, and picture Jennifer wrapped up in it, I remember the summers on Karen and Michael's couch, wearing the bright orange "Beer Delivery Guy" shirt till it was almost threadbare, I look at the Maui 2003 shirt and I feel joy and peace, knowing the 10 days we spent in Hawaii were meant to be for so many reasons, and I laugh to myself when I run my hands across the one, "Tell Your Boyfriend To Call Me"...and yes, I could go on and on for each shirt gives me something more, and makes my heart sing.

Rather than doing so, I will include the writing that KLO presented us with when she gave us the final product. This is how I know it was a journey for her, as well, one that she needed at a time that no one else would understand, one that she took on with her full heart and soul, and one she caressed with love in every stitch.

Another Quilt, by KLO

Another Quilt
Shop fabrics, coordinate colors, choose pattern
Stop...NO!
Like no other, this quilt has walked, breathed, laughed, loved
There is a difference-a strong feeling of Zen
An emphasis on the process over the product.
She was.
Making this quilt came down to the here and now, the moment to moment handling of the cloth.
She is here-guiding the choice of fabrics, deciding each block's placement, the colors-Her colors.
What was she doing when she wore this one...Swinging in a hammock?
Shopping? Dating? Studying? Eating? Going to the beach? Cradling Barkley?
What is she doing now?

Thank you, KLO, from the bottom of grateful hearts...and oh, yes, we know what she is doing now.

No comments: