Saturday, November 1, 2008

Another Day, Another Month

As the day dawns, so does a new month. Another favorite month. Still that month when you get to experience small specks of Indian Summer, savor the aroma of pumpkin breads and pies, light the fall candles, turn the clocks back, all is good in November. Sweatshirts and jacket weather, another favorite.

I also now know something about November that I never knew before, it is Lung Cancer Awareness month. Who knew? But then I have "learned" more than I ever thought possible about many things in the last 24 months. I didn't know that various cancers had their own significant colors, months dedicated to their awareness, staggering statistics, intense survivor stories, and even misconceptions. I surely never knew that lung cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death and has more death related conditions that breast, colon, prostate, and ovarian cancers combined. From an emotional standpoint, I didn't know just hearing the word, "cancer", that so many feelings could blend and roll through my body, mind and spirit. I certainly had heard the word often enough in my lifetime, that is, until it penetrated my life, my family, my home, my heart and soul. It raged and took a precious daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, and friend from us, way too soon. So, naturally, I am still grappling with it all. I can say, however, that I don't seek answers, for there will be none. Allison had a cell, the smallest of cells, but the most rapid to reproduce into large tumors, small cell lung cancer which makes up 20% of all lung cancers. And I have learned that women who have never smoked are more likely to develop lung cancer than men who never smoked. Very few doctors would have thought to check a very healthy, non-smoking 21 year old when she suffered from complete exhaustion, hoarseness, chronic cough, shortness of breath and chest pain for cancer...it couldn't be, but it was...and her chances of winning the million dollar lottery were better.

I refer to a website, The Lung Cancer Alliance, from time to time, as I make my quest to learn more and find a way to support. I will very soon post her picture on the site, the faces of those who continue to live as survivors or those who have been laid to rest after their intense battle. For obvious reasons, funding is limited and not nearly the magnitude of breast cancer. There is a stigma with lung cancer, calling it the "smoker's cancer". While Allison tampered with and tried the occasional cigarette in her late teen years, she had no habit or addiction. One special doctor made sure she knew that those few cigarettes did none of this damage, that she would have had to had an intense, 25 year habit to have the lung damage she had. Doctors across this country examined her case, and it is quite possible, still, that she is the youngest female to lose her life to this disease.

I am compelled to do whatever I can to understand more in this awareness month, and I certainly wish I could fund enough to enhance the research. While that will never happen to its fullest, I believe that when others look into the shining eyes of her lovely face, they will remember her and help in any way they can....maybe it will be to NOT judge lung cancer patients, maybe it will be to encourage a doctor to take a scan of a lung when the symptoms occur and the belief that lung cancer is for others, maybe they will participate in a walk or relay for life and support cancer research, maybe they will find a way to stop their own smoking habits for the sake of themselves or a loved one, maybe they will take time from their very busy, hectic lives to send a card or give the gift of time to someone in need, maybe they will simply appreciate their own healthy loved ones that much more and let the small stuff go, maybe they will take their own deeper walk of faith and know that God will be with you when you just ask, maybe, just maybe, one person, our Allison, will help make the difference.

This is the day....love, Kathy

No comments: