Monday, November 10, 2008

Songs and Hymns

This weekend as my sister and various friends, college roomies included, gathered at my house for a quick stopover or a sleepover, it was confirmed for me, once again, what good therapy friends and "sisters" can be...the laughter, prayers, serious moments, conversations helped us all "heal" from whatever burdens we carry. This weekend did go down in the record books of all reunions and became known for the singing of songs that took place. One person would make a comment and another would break out in song, and before you knew it, four people would break out in full blown song until they forgot the words, then they would just hum or make crazy sounds. It's as if they created the "kitchen clatter band" right in our own house...you would have to be there to get the full blown effect. I didn't participate but enjoyed watching the antics! If only they could have seen what I observed and believe it or not, no alcohol was involved. This was a first, in pajamas by 8:00 p.m., gathered around the coffee table with no liquor, just having a good old fashioned time. I loved the laughter and the fellowship and the fun, although at moments, it was just a wee bit over stimulating. We knew someday we would grow up and stay IN, maybe do a craft or two, watch a movie or two, well, we are growing closer to that new concept and admitting, just a wee bit, our coming of age in our 50's!

I guess it was not any surprise, then, when I woke this morning with a tune in my head. They had me practically brainwashed with songs from every genre, but this morning, an old hymn was playing in my head, literally. The words were clear, "Praise God from who all blessings flow, Praise Him all creatures here below, Praise Him of the Heavenly Host, Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost"...or words similar! It's sort of like this weekend, I definitely had the gist of the song, but one or two lines were fuzzy! At any rate, I was humming this song upon awakening this morning and it reminded me, thankfully, to focus on what I DO have, not what I do not. It would be so much easier to stay in the trenches of what, or should I say who, is not here. It would be so much easier to focus on my limitations rather than my strengths. As I head into the holiday season, it is getting particularly challenging to face days with such a heavy load, the pain of loss, the empty, hollow heart. Sometimes I just press my hand heavy to my heart to remind myself that Allison is still there and will remain there for eternity. I remind myself that she is always with me, and I ask God to give me the strength to make it to the next minute, and He always does. It's amazing. He is amazing. And He strums the little tune in my head to remind me of what I do have, a day to be lazy with my sister here at the house, curled up in robes by the fireplace, a daughter who is like an energizer bunny, who keeps us all smiling just by her mere presence, a husband who "endured" so much noise this weekend when the ya-ya convention was held Friday-Sunday, and wondrous friends who one can just be who they want to be with, no itinerary, no theme, no rules...blessings do flow from above. As each sister and friend gathered, all with a burden, a story of their own, it was clear that through it all, God provides the blessings, we have to keep looking and counting.

No comments: