Thursday, April 23, 2009

Inspiring Stories

Every day, and I do mean every day, someone we talk with is facing or dealing with some form of life changing event. Those challenges range from one spectrum to another, loss of a loved one, chronic illness, depression, fatigue, adversity, loss of a job, and the list goes on. It can depress us if we allow it to do so, but it is in these amazing stories that many of us become inspired, motivated to keep going, knowing that if those friends and loved ones can do it, we surely can, as well. When I began this blog it was my intent to share stories, those of inspiration, those that give us hope and determination to seize the day and live it to our best God-given ability. I have never read any of my former entries, but I do know that they have been mostly about my journey as a grieving mother, learning how to live and "be" in a world that has sometimes become so completely foreign. My writings have been my own outpouring of emotion at times, and sharing my heart has become a part of this process called healing. I had no intents and purposes for the blog, I knew that it would evolve as intended. In many ways, I suppose the writings have poured from my soul, even when tears could not. The spirit within moves me to get it out, and it's incredible how "free" I can feel after expressing myself, only to become bogged down again, needing to release once more, and share. I have no idea why I write, or to whom, but if it serves as nothing other than to be my own legacy, or assist someone else, someday, some way, then I know that doing so was one of the purposes of this life I now live.

Still, I had hoped to share other stories, so that I can remember and learn from them. And that is exactly what this life, and all its circumstances, is all about. If we are not touched by stories or real lives enough to make a difference or change in our own, then the story is not worth sharing. Some can hear and feel these stories so deeply, yet never make a change or find hope in their own life. Others can feel the pain so intently that they are almost immobilized. I am learning how to balance the two, share the journey with others, care and support, lend the hand and resources to their cause, walk along side, pray without ceasing, and learning the lesson that their own experience is here to teach. It is amazing and incredible how the classroom of life is more engaging and interesting than any textbook class I took in college! There's so much to learn from every one's story, each other's example, and the light they share along the way.

We all have everyday heroes, those who by their very example, lead us to be better people. Some we meet for a few minutes, some we have known for a very long time. Some are right under our noses, some are mere acquaintances. All make a difference in shaping us. Yes, Allison, herself was an every day hero. Most would never understand or fully comprehend just how much she taught us, in 21 years, but especially in her last 11 weeks. When others ask me how I go on, how I do it, how we can present a scholarship this very evening in her memory without melting and faltering, I can only say, that their strength doesn't come from a daughter who led by example every time she had to get blood drawn, receive chemotherapy, or radiation, or to respond to news that this cancer was finding its way to all parts of her previously strong body. Their daughter didn't carry a scripture to every treatment so that she connected with God and His medicine and their daughter didn't leave lasting words of love and hope and light in her final breaths. Sure, their daughter didn't face pain and limitations and need to be moved or rolled over in the night, their child didn't have to face issues of leaving one world only to enter another, their daughter didn't face the loss of hair and body functions, yet make the best of it with a prevailing attitude that left her family to know that no pain, physical or emotional, cannot be tolerated. But their daughter or son, or loved one, or self, has a story, teaches us a lesson and lights a life, even a life of someone they may never meet.

So, I look forward to sharing inspiring stories on my blog, ones that I hope will make us better human beings, reach out in kindness, stop as we look in the faces of people, not knowing at all what "story" they carry, but knowing they have one. We all have one and some need to be told.

No comments: