Thursday, April 23, 2009

A second entry...

I so seldom write twice in one day, and sometimes only twice in one week, but my heart is full at the prospect of yet another milestone this evening, the presentation of the second annual Allison M. Haake Memorial Scholarship to be awarded to a very deserving young lady who our own Allie would have loved to meet. And she did meet her, just in another way. I am filled with complex emotions and thoughts, first and foremost, that another year has gone by and here we are, making our second family selection and presentation. Time really has little meaning, now, when it all becomes relative and you live life one day at a time, but still, a year. Where has it gone, and how do I find myself at yet another milestone?

Overall, my emotions rage and range in varying ways...the overwhelming generosity of all those who made this moment possible, the continuing donations of dollars or support of our efforts as a family, hoping to give back in memory of our daughter. Every dollar, ten dollars, hundred dollars has enabled us to give generously again this year. And for those who cannot donate in monetary ways, the love and care and giving that has taken place to enable us to fund such an event leaves me speechless. I am thankful Joe will be making tonight's presentation, and that Jennifer did so, last year, for I cannot imagine standing before a group of people, saying the words that need to be said. For each word has so much meaning behind it.

Our family will have a few close guests with us tonight, sharing in the moment, and with everyone who has walked this journey with us, I am held up by your love and kindness. To the depths of my soul, I need you all with me tonight, to hold me up and together, in dignity and strength, to reach out and make a difference in the name of my daughter. Those physically present will be my guiding strength, and my sister and other family and friends will be the rock of my soul. I do not journey alone.

No comments: