Saturday, April 25, 2009

Talk About Inspiring

Just the other day I wrote that I hope to share inspiring stories, and there are so many to share. I could begin with family, friends, neighbors, and never stop writing. I do know that the trials of others are meant to be shared, giving us all hope and faith that life is worth living and all we have is this day. As I shared, Allison's legacy has proven that to me, in more ways than I could count. I stay inspired because of her. I stay inspired because of a strong husband who responds with dignity and grace to this unexplainable loss, and I stay inspired to a strong, spirited daughter who is living and loving her own life as she finds her way.

But inspiration comes in many forms and in unexpected places. Just the other night when we presented the second annual scholarship, I never expected to receive so much more than I/we gave. How honored we are to be able to give back in some small way, thanks to our ever growing support and contributing team, yet, when we walked away, we were the recipients of so much more than money could buy. Again, for the second year, we attended a banquet to make our presentation. An emotionally charged event for us already, I found myself a bit overwhelmed at times, thinking that I would ever dare to think I had a limitation or deficit. The students receiving awards face adversity, disability, and limitations every second of every day. They speak their words through interpreters or voice boxes. They come to the podium in a wheel chair with limited "normal" body functions or the ability to hold their head up. They come from the lowest of self-esteem to being able to speak to a large crowd in a banquet hall setting. They learn to communicate only to be made fun of...and they come from countries torn apart by war, deaf, with severe challenges, only to grow up to help their family prepare for their US citizenship test to become proud Americans and to stand as an eloquent young man asking his teacher to accept a standing ovation for all the help she has given him. Oh, how the stories do not stop there. The list is endless but the outcome is the same...they have all risen above their challenges, they cling to faith for a better time, and they are role models and inspiration to the other students around them and they dream of a better tomorrow. They do not let their challenges define them or allow excuses. They play sports, lead community service efforts, participate in Leadership classes, perform at their jobs, show up and smile. They have a reason to get up, show up and live life. More than kudos to their parents, whom most of the students thanked first and foremost. Without a mother, father, family figure, they know they would not be where they are today. And more than kudos to the tireless efforts of each teacher who takes their place in the classroom each day, day after day, with their own spirit, smile and determination.

I think of what sometimes seems the biggest mountain for me to climb, or for those who share their stories with me. I often wonder how I am going to live my life with this pain and heartache, how will I do it, when will it end? I think of my sister, who by my brother-in-law's admittance, has to help him with his shoes and socks each day as he is pained from the blood cancer in his body. I think of my neighbor who is eulogizing his wife this day, after she left this earth on the heels of losing her second child, causing illnesses that stemmed from a broken, aging heart. Her desire to live this day had ceased. I think of a friend who has an incredible amount of healing ahead of her, physical, emotional and psychological. I think of another who has to endure so much radiation and chemotherapy that she cannot eat, sleep, walk or much less, find joy in this day. Then I think of all the inspiration that comes from pain and trouble, and I know that God carries us through those days. We all have them, or will. It will always be our turn to face a hard time or a loss. It is the inevitable and that is not morbid. That is reality. So, in the face of hard times, devastation, never ending pain, we must find the crack of sunshine, the pink sky and the light. We must find the simple joys, the moment of comfort, even if it is just looking at a daisy in a jar!

Inspired? Yes, indeed, more than inspired, again, a lesson learned. There is nothing but this day, thank you God, let me seize it and make it what it needs to be, following your plan, and not my own.

No comments: