Friday, March 19, 2010

Allison, It's Your Day

Dear Allison, night has fallen on your birthday, and we managed to find our way to celebrate life, you, ourselves, in all kinds of ways, we paid tribute. I won't get into the details, but I will say that today was one of God's most perfect creations and as I get ready to drift into a much needed sleep, I am thankful for it, and thankful for many things. I have no words, tonight, really, but it didn't seem right to go to bed without sending you birthday wishes and blessings. I am coming to understand that so many people were touched by your day, your life, your legacy, and in a strange way, much more so than if you were still on earth. You have left your footprint in many ways, and the celebration isn't just for this day, it is for every day. This was not unlike any other day, I am still the same, I am your mother, now learning to know, love, and carry you in new ways, in the confine of my heart. I feel you and see you and know you in the pink flowers that arrived today from Aunt Kathy and Uncle David, in the lung cancer OPI nail color Aunt Karen and I used for our pedicures, in the beauty of the long walk on the Katy Trail, in Jennifer's laughter and spirit, in your father's determination to go out to a nice dinner when it would have been much easier to stay home, in the beauty of today's sky, in the streaks of pink that follow us, and in the photographs Sherry sent in honor of your birthday. I feel you guiding so many when I read the e-mails or Facebook messages, or the cards that came earlier in the week, or in the preparations for Sunday. Your birthday, this 25th, was and is a tribute to a guiding force that will never die, will always guide and light our way. God knows how I miss you, my dear youngest child, and always will. You gave us many presents today, in various forms, and I thank you for the will and determination to keep going. I am weary, I won't deny it, but tonight is for resting, and tomorrow is a new day, God willing that we get to spend it, living and honoring, as we do every day. No, today was not any different, just a number, but a day to commemorate. And we did. And I am proud, and my spirit is fulfilled.

You, I love, my dear one, Mom

No comments: